Recent Post -  Patmos Garden From the Archives Desert Island Discs

Tuesday 4 March 2014

POETRY - Rabindranath Tagore

Rabindranath Tagore 1864-1941, the great Indian writer, whose poems were written in Bengali. Gitanjali (song offerings) was translated into prose by the author himself. The general consensus by W. B. Yeats, E. M. Forster et al is that much was lost in translation

Tagore wrote Gitanjali in 1910, received the Nobel Prize three years later. A polymath whose influence on Indian culture and Indian nationalism was vast - out of fashion perhaps his poetry lives on. 




Here is a fragment from song offering number 62.
"When I kiss your face to make you smile, my darling, I surely understand what the pleasure is that streams from the sky in the morning light, and what delight that is which the summer breeze brings to my body - when I kiss you to make you smile."

No comments:

Post a Comment

SABBATICAL; BOOKS