Recent Post -  Patmos Garden From the Archives Desert Island Discs

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Thomas Mann's Magic Mountain

FOR THOSE WHO READ PAPERBACK, HARDBACK OR KINDLE
Vivid recollections of how I had enjoyed Thomas Mann's Magic Mountain.... made me want to read it again but I found it boring so I read Death in Venice instead - not too long, a novella after all - wonderful! 
My reading was periodically interrupted by visions of Sylvana Mangano, the mother of the Polish family, in the  Luchino Visconti movie....... assuredly the most beautiful and stylish actress of her generation ......with a sense of humour [see her in Conversation Piece by the same director.].........Then I embarked on Mann's first novel Buddenbrooks [burnt by the Nazis] - 600 pages were a bit daunting--a marvellous story of a Hanseatic port and the disintegration of a merchant family - so psychologically acute - and engaging!....... thanks to H.T. Lowe-Porter who translated the book into English. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SABBATICAL; BOOKS